My favorite fairy tale retellings
I love fairytales. A lot. And retellings. These are my very favorites, in no particular order. There are a disproportionate number of Cinderella retellings on here, but Cinderella is the most widely told fairytale in folklore, and the most widely retold fairytale in literature.
- •Briar Rose by Jane YolenThis is actually the only book on this list that isn't fantasy, but it is amazing. More of a look into how someone who's experienced trauma uses folklore to make sense of things and help them deal.
- •Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineMost fairytale junkies have read this one, but it really is great. Levine wrote several other fairytale retellings, but I don't think any of them compare to this one. And don't get me started on the movie.
- •Deerskin by Robin McKinleyMcKinley specializes in fairy tale retellings, but this one is my favorite. It's definitely her darkest, but I love that it's a lesser known story (Deerskin/Donkeyskin) and that the main character triumphs, despite still dealing with all of her scars.
- •Bound by Donna Jo NapoliMy favorite by Napoli. A retelling of the Chinese variant of Cinderella, which is also one of the earliest known Cinderella story types. It's awesome.
- •Princess of Glass by Jessica Day GeorgeA very different retelling of Cinderella. My favorite of George's fairy tale retellings.
- •The Princess Curse by Merrie HaskellA really cool adaptation of the twelve dancing princesses, with a little beauty and the beast and some mythology thrown in.
- •Honorable mentions: other retellings by McKinley, Haskell, George, and Napoli, as well as retellings by Cameron Dokey, the Lunar Chronicles (1, 3, & 4), The Thirteenth Princess (Diane Zahler), The Goose Girl (Shannon Hale), and Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart—also not fantasy, but old school romantic mystery).and The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. This is mythology, not fairytales, but it's still folklore, so I decided to include it. The Percy Jackson series is also good, but I like the second series better.