THINGS REGULATED MORE THAN GUNS
This is a list of things we regulate more consistently than gun and ammo sales in the US (in general--some states may do a better job than others)
- •Cold MedicineMost stores ask for ID whenever you buy most cold medicines. This is to help stop meth labs; these purchases are also tracked.
- •AlcoholYou must be 21 and many places card until a certain age; college towns card almost everyone regardless of how old they look. Some cities and states regulate where and when you can buy liquor, beer, and wine.
- •Driver's LicensesYou have to pass a test (written and/or driven) depending on your age and state; you have to show multiple forms of ID and proof of residence. Again, this varies from state to state. For example, in Mississippi you must show your birth certificate, social security card, and two utility bills to get your license if you have a current license from another state.
- •Women's HealthIn 2011 there were 1,000 laws enacted regulated women's access to healthcare including abortions. Regardless of your stance on abortion it is a legal medical procedure that any woman has the right to without having to have a transvaginal ultrasound, speech about what the fetus looks like, or waiting period.
- •Planned ParenthoodNot only has this women's health clinic had to defend itself against false charges, this provider of a variety of health services from mammograms to birth control to Pap smears has to constantly face the threat of defunding which would lead thousands of women without gynecological care. Not to mention that anyone going to one of these clinics for any reason has to face a constant barrage of protestors shouting awful things at them
- •Gun Violence ResearchThe Dickey Amendment bans any scientific research on gun violence. It's been in place for 20 years.
- •What kids can wear and bring to schoolMany public schools have dress codes regulating the length of shorts, skirts, dresses; the width of fabric that makes a sleeve, etc. also many schools ban certain foods (namely nuts) because of food allergies.