Things I Miss
And don't really get here, in no real order.
- 1.Weather: rainy days, foggy days, soggy and boggy days, cool summer nights and warm days with a sea breeze.
- 2.Nature beyond what grows along the man-made trail; the ocean; the mountains; wild tangles of pungent bay trees; the smell of the Sierras in late August; a good thunderstorm in the mountains.
- 3.Feeling inspired by ... anything. Living in a place where art is not only allowed but supported and encouraged. Where there is, for lack of a better word, culture.
- 4.A really, really good cup of coffee that I didn't make myself.
- 5.Greek yogurt! Especially Straus Greek yogurt.
- 6.Farmers' markets. Vegetables grown in season. Wild seafood. Organic meats and poultry.
- 7.Libraries. (Thank gd for e-loaning and e-books as long as my SFPL membership lasts.)
- 8.A walkable city. A walkable lifestyle, really.
- 9.Never having to use air conditioning.
- 10.Recycling! Composting! Etc.
- 11.Feeling like I have a place to belong. Maybe this is a universal expat thing, but particularly here you are so very obviously an outsider it can make you constantly self-conscious.