12 ROCK MUSICIANS THAT ARE 45+ AND STILL AMAZING
Let's be honest, rock & roll has historically been a young person's game and there is often a MAJOR dip in quality of rock music from people that've been at it a long time. Others, however, thrive and do some of their best work well past the age of 45. Somebody on TLA was talking about this a while ago, but I couldn't remember who. 😬
- •Efrim Menuck (45)He's the primary songwriter for two bands: Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion and they're both putting out some of the best stuff they've ever done.
- •PJ Harvey (46)She's just an unstoppable force of nature. Let England Shake is a masterpiece and the new record ain't nothing to sneeze at.
- •John Stanier (47)Made his name in Helmet, but plays with Tomahawk, and his current work with Battles is as vital and essential as anything he's ever done.
- •Mike Patton (48)I think he was discovered to have the greatest range of any popular music singer. It is astonishing what this man can do with his voice especially considering how out there he gets with it.
- •David Eugene Edwards (48)I think literally everything he's done has gotten progressively better. Currently plying his trade under the name Wovenhand.
- •Thom Yorke (48)I guess Radiohead is still kind of okay.
- •Stephen Malkmus (49)It's blasphemy to some, but a friend and I were discussing how we actually enjoy Malkmus's solo stuff better than the amazing work he did with Pavement.
- •J Mascis (50)Solo stuff and work with Dinosaur Jr. is still spectacular.
- •Jason Pierce (50)Jason has done some hard living and we almost lost him a while back, but he roared back to life and wrote some seriously kick ass Spiritualized albums.
- •Blixa Bargeld (57)A former member of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Bargeld still makes superb records as the leader of Einstürzende Neubauten.
- •Nick Cave (58)He had a bit of a dip when he bottomed out on all of the drugs, but since getting clean, his work with the Bad Seeds, Grinderman, and Warren Ellis are top notch.
- •Tom Waites (66)Dude will be weird as hell forever. His production has slowed way down, but he still writes good jams.