CONCERTS I SAW: APRIL 2016
There's one more day in the month, but my show going for April is over. Can't wait for May as the list is going to be ridiculous. Anyway, here's what I saw...
- •MELT-BANANA04/03/16 • Iron City • Birmingham, AL: Noise rock duo from Japan. I still miss them performing as a full band, but it's really always been about these two anyway so it works.
- •THE MELVINS04/03/16 • Iron City • Birmingham, AL: Somehow, this was my first time seeing The Melvins and all I can say is a really messed up waiting so late to see them. Kurt Cobain was a big fan for a reason.
- •NAPALM DEATH04/03/16 • Iron City • Birmingham, AL: Have always been a metal fan, but tended to not be overly enthused by the super heavy stuff when younger. In a peculiar twist, as I've gotten older, I've discovered I really like the heavy stuff.
- •ESKIMEAUX04/07/16 • Syndicate Lounge • Birmingham, AL: Had never heard of her before that night, but she had a pretty enjoyable set. Need to check out her albums.
- •FRANKIE COSMOS04/07/16 • Syndicate Lounge • Birmingham, AL: Wasn't super familiar with her stuff, but found out she was playing in town the same night I listened to her music for the first time so I went down there. Wise decision on my part.
- •BITCHIN' BAJAS04/10/16 • Saturn • Birmingham, AL: These guys are my favorite discovery of 2016 so far. Great hybrid of krautrock, American minimalism, drone, and Hindustani classical.
- •DEERHUNTER04/10/16 • Saturn • Birmingham, AL: They've expanded to a sextet from a quartet for this tour. The sound is obviously much fuller with an additional percussionist and someone playing both sax and keyboards. They are just operating on another level right now.
- •NEON INDIAN04/13/16 • Saturn • Birmingham, AL: I had a bad headache all day and wasn't really feeling the show. Probably would've skipped it if I hadn't bought the ticket already. Crowd seemed to enjoy it though.
- •THE WORD04/22/16 • Lyric Theatre • Birmingham, AL: Super group featuring members of the North Mississippi All-Stars, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, and Medeski, Martin & Wood. Super energetic show. Had a ton of fun.
- •WIDESPREAD PANIC04/23/16 • Legacy Arena • Birmingham, AL: Was bittersweet seeing them knowing this is the last year they're going to tour heavily. They've been at it forever so I don't blame them, but they're still firing hard so it's hard knowing they're hanging it up (kind of.)
- •CHARLIE HUNTER04/27/16 • Saturn • Birmingham, AL: Jazz guitar wizard ran through a wide array of tunes with the incredible drummer Scott Amendola.
- •IRON GIANT PERCUSSION04/28/16 • Library Theatre • Birmingham, AL: Percussion ensemble performed a program of works by living composers from Alabama. A great, adventurous night of music making.