Concerts I Went To: October 2016
Still several days left in the month, but I'm done with going to shows until November.
- •ANDREW BIRD10/04/16 • Birmingham, AL • Saturn: My second time seeing Andrew Bird. The guy is just incredible. Really should pay more attention to his stuff.
- •RUSSIAN CIRCLES10/05/16 • Birmingham, AL • Saturn: My fifth or sixth time seeing these guys. Instrumental post-metal/post-rock out of Chicago. So very good.
- •SIGUR RÓS10/10/16 • Asheville, NC • Thomas Wolfe Auditorium: They usually tour as a 10+ piece mini-orchestra so I was curious how they'd be on this trio only tour. They absolutely destroyed as expected. Had great sixth row seats that allowed me to snag this pic.
- •ADAM TORRES10/14/16 • Birmingham, AL • Syndicate Lounge: I knew nothing of his music before the show but quite enjoyed. I liked the darker ones best.
- •THOR & FRIENDS10/14/16 • Birmingham, AL • Syndicate Lounge: Thor Harris, formerly of the fantastic band Swans, has started an instrumental percussion trio and released one of my favorite records of the year. Live, he's joined by a rotating cast. It was three percussionists, a violinist, guitarist, bassist, and organist for this show here. He's on tour right now. GO GO GO.
- •PHISH10/18/16 • Ascend Amphitheatre • Nashville, TN: Show started kind of slow, but turned into one for the ages when Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead joined them for six songs during the second set. 😍
- •PHISH10/19/16 .• Ascend Amphitheatre • Nashville, TN: I somehow was more tired for night two despite spending all day in the same city. Good outing though. Always love seeing these guys.
- •CIRCUIT DES YEUX10/23/16 • Seasick Records • Birmingham, AL: I'd heard the name before but had never heard the music. Still need to check out the records, but she kills live.
- •RYLEY WALKER10/23/16 • Seasick Records • Birmingham, AL: Short acoustic set by him and a bassist (they didn't want to play full band in the record store for some reason.) He's put out one of my favorite records of the year. Despite his new record, half his set was unreleased new material. Definitely worth catching if he comes around.