Dozen Favorite Grateful Dead Songs
Haven't talked to @dad3 in a while so I figured I'd hit him up with a list he'd want to see. It's a nearly impossible task to pick just 12 from a band that's put out sooooo much, but I'm going to do it anyway. List would probably be totally different next week.
- 12.Touch of GreyIf the Grateful Dead's heyday occurred before you were born (like it did for me), then this is probably one of the first songs you heard by them. It's probably a sentimental pick, but it's still a damn fine song so I don't mind including it.
- 11.Unbroken ChainAnother odd choice given how seldom they played it, but I just love it.
- 10.AltheaOne of the few 80s songs I'm really in love with.
- 9.Shakedown StreetStraight disco funk.
- 8.Box of RainI apparently like the Phil jams.
- 7.Scarlet BegoniasI think I first heard this from the famed Cornell '77 show.
- 6.Eyes of the WorldLove the laid back, slinky vibe on this one.
- 5.Morning DewI know it a cover, but Garcia's solo was always sublime on it.
- 4.Terrapin StationThe Dead does prog?
- 3.Dark StarMy young mind was not prepared for the first time I heard this on Live/Dead.
- 2.Help on the WayThis is the song that legit made me a convert to the Dead. The 1975 show that made up the One From the Vault album is still my favorite version of the song.
- 1.Wharf RatI don't know if this is a weird favorite Dead song or not, but I'm mad for it. Another slow burner ripe for some epic Jerry soloing.