Places I've Seen Professional Soccer Players Play Soccer
All of these Copa America Centanario and Euro 2016 games have me watching all of the soccer. Here's a list of places I've see professionals play soccer. I didn't say stadiums because some of these are really weird places.
- •Dick's Sporting Good Park • Commerce City, COSat in the PISSING down rain to watch the Colorado Rapids vs Real Salt Lake in the deciding game of the Rocky Mountain Cup.
- •Georgia Dome • Atlanta, GATypically the home of the Atlanta Falcons, they'll lay temporary over the grass for soccer. Saw USA vs Jamaica in the Gold Cup.
- •IMG Academy • Bradenton, FLSports training facility and private school that develops both young athletes and those that are already pros. Saw a spring training game between DC United and Real Salt Lake. It was an exhibition, but was the first time RSL had ever played publicly.
- •James R. Hallford Stadium • Clarkston, GAEasily the worst facility I've seen an actual game in. This was the Atlanta Silverbacks home before they moved into Silverbacks Park. Saw them play a US Open Cup game there against FC Dallas.
- •Legion Field • Birmingham, ALSeveral US national team games (men & women), tons of games from the Atlanta Olympics.
- •Mapfre Stadium • Columbus, OHThe first major soccer specific stadium in the United States. SaW USA vs Paraguay there and FC Dallas vs Columbus Crew.
- •Nissan Stadium • Nashville, TNHave seen USA play there three times: against Morocco, Trinidad & Tobago, and Canada.
- •NRG Stadium • Houston, TXOne of the coolest stadiums I've ever been in. Retractable roof is really awesome to see in action. I saw USA vs Mexico here.
- •Orange Bowl Stadium • Miami, FLSaw USA vs Argentina here. Secured the worst sunburn of my life and met some lifelong friends there as well.
- •RFK Stadium • Washington, DCSaw USA vs Honduras and also DC United vs Toronto FC.
- •Saint Bernard Monastery • Cullman, ALArgentina was playing the United States in Birmingham and for some reason Argentina chose this Catholic monastery about an hour outside of town as their training center. They had one open scrimmage against a local all-star team so we went and watched it.
- •Silverbacks Park • Atlanta, GAHome of the second division Atlanta Silverbacks. Saw them take on Real Salt Lake in the US Open Cup which is the American version of the FA Cup.
- •Soldier Field • Chicago, ILSaw a double header of USA vs Poland and Chicago Fire vs New England Revolution. This was prior to the Fire having their own stadium in Bridgeview.
- •Toyota Stadium • Frisco, TXSaw FC Dallas vs Seattle Sounders in the hottest damn sporting event I've ever been to. I think it was about 105 at kickoff. Miserable.
- •West Campus Field • Birmingham, ALDue to its prime location, UAB's campus has often served as a training center for pro teams when they come to town. Have seen UAB in exhibitions against the Chicago Fire and the US national team.