SINGERS WHOSE VOICES I WISH I HAD
I don't think these people necessarily have the *best* voices (or it'd be a list of classically trained singers), but I think their voices are interesting for various reasons. Also limited it to men because I'd feel peculiar walking around as a grown man sounding like Nicki Minaj or Patsy Cline or something.
- •PAUL BANKS (INTERPOL)Banks has one of those "haunted by a lot of self-inflicted shit" voices, but it's spectacular to listen to. Don't necessarily want to walk the same roads, but gotta dig the voice.
- •JOHNNY CASHWould probably be pretty cool to have the voice of God for a day or two.
- •ZACH DE LA ROCHA (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)This guy managed to sound pissed off every time he opened his mouth over the course of four studio albums and some live records. Would love to nearly be able to incite a riot with my voice.
- •FATHER JOHN MISTYSarcastic, devil may care smartass of the highest order that also can actually sing. Seems to have disdain for everything and that kind of honesty is oddly charming.
- •MARVIN GAYEWho wouldn't want the smoothest voice there ever was?
- •CHRIS ISAAKModern day crooner whose music was borderline schmaltzy at times, but it worked because we all embraced the smooth, lovesick and lusty persona.
- •MORRISSEYI think it'd be fun to have a snotty, know-it-all yet velvet-as-hell English accented voice.
- •MIKE PATTONA mad genius that possesses one of the most versatile voices ever gifted to a human being. He's sung everything from brutal metal to opera to Italian love songs to the most experimental howls and yelps ever laid to tape. You never know what his six octave range is gonna belt out, but it'll always be well done and thoroughly interesting.
- •SUFJAN STEVENSThe fragile, self-tortured butterfly has a marvelous voice whether at a whisper or climbing into the upper registers to let you know about his sadness and pain.
- •ALEX TURNER (ARCTIC MONKEYS)I've been to hundreds of concerts. Probably closer to 1,000 than zero and I have never seen a voice drive a room to Beatles-coming-to-America-for-the-first-time level squealing, but that room lost its shit every time he opened his mouth (probably helps that he's super good looking too.)