5 U.S. museums with outstanding architecture
When art and design collide.
- •The Broad in Los Angeles, CaliforniaThis new, 120,000-square foot contemporary art museum—designed by Diller Scofidio+Renfro in collaboration with Gensler—opened in September 2015 in Los Angeles. Photo via Shutterstock.
- •National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington D.C.Recently opened in September 2016, Washington D.C.’s new National Museum of African American History and Culture expected tens of thousands of visitors. The $540 million project was designed by architect David Adjaye. Photo via Shutterstock.
- •Denver Art Museum in Denver, ColoradoLocated in downtown Denver, the Denver Art Museum boasts one of the largest art collections between the West Coast and Chicago, with more than 70,000 pieces. Photo via Shutterstock.
- •De Young Museum in San Francisco, CaliforniaOriginally constructed in Golden Gate Park in 1894 for the California Midwinter International Exposition, the Fine Arts Building now houses the acclaimed de Young Museum in San Francisco. Photo via Shutterstock.
- •Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, MissouriThis free public art museum has been serving the Kansas City public since December 11, 1933. The current collection contains more than 35,000 works of art. Photo courtesy of Visit Kansas City.