Top 5 Favorite Musical Protagonists (no particular order)
I'm a fan of musical theatre. Took part in productions at school (currently playing the lead in our high school's production of Fiddler on the Roof). I always admire each character a musical provides. Whether they're central to the story or not, they're all important, but the lead is where it all happens. Here are my top 5 musical leads…
- •Tevye (Fiddler on the Roof)I realize I may be just a little biased on this one but the character of Tevye has always fascinated me. His conflict between his faith and his family shows true emotion through the story he tells and the comedic timing he holds throughout his monologues is such an attractive quality. He's a likable, joyful, dignified man and he is definitely one of my favorite leads in any musical I've seen.
- •Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)This is an obvious choice. He's a powerful lead with a heart of pure gold. Rising up from his dark past, Jean Valjean is the definition of "light at the end of the tunnel".
- •Alexander Hamilton (Hamilton)Can someone say "Hip-Hopera" (patent pending)? An American hero thrown into a historically accurate modern retelling of American history? I think yes. Easily one of my favorite musicals and favorite characters in a musical. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a gift unto us all and I will continue to praise his talented presence until the day I die.
- •Shrek (Shrek the Musical)Duh
- •Dr. Henry Jekyll / Mr. Edward Hyde (Jekyll & Hyde)YES THEY COUNT AS ONE CHARACTER YOU CAN FIGHT ME ABOUT IT. Anyone who knows me knows "Jekyll & Hyde" is my absolute favorite piece of gothic literature to ever exist. Everything about it is great. The words even just constructed together so perfectly to develop each character with science fiction that was so ahead of its time… it's just… magnificent. So you can imagine my excitement when I found out there was a musical based on my favorite book. Two of my favorite things put into one. Wow.