"FIREFLY" EPISODES RANKED
Just finished watching the series. A completely subjective (but wholly accurate) ranking of the 14 adventures aboard Serenity.
- 1.Out of GasA clever, well-framed episode that shows us not only how the core crew came together, but who they are as a team. This episode epitomizes Whedon's pitch of "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things."
- 2.The MessageJonathan M. Woodward is amazing as the soldier who fought along Mal and Zoe who is just trying to get home. We also get to see Jayne's knit hat.
- 3.ShindigThe peak of Mal and Inara's will-they-won't-they romance, and an episode that explores the human side of being an outcast.
- 4.Objects In SpaceThe final episode of the show brings us the most insane character yet- a talkative, sociopathic bounty hunter. We also get the world through River's eyes, and although I never found her particularly interesting, it's nice to see the crew rally around her.
- 5.ArielA tense excursion to a core planet, which brings Jay and Simon to their foundations. Mal's final treatment of Jay is harsh and unexpectedly poignant.
- 6.Heart of GoldA ragtag gang of smugglers and prostitutes defending themselves against a bully. It's pure Western drama dripping with sexual tension.
- 7.SerenityThe real pilot- the one that introduces us to the gang and let's us listen to that glorious theme song for the first time.
- 8.Our Mrs. ReynoldsChristina Hendricks plays sweet, virginal, manipulative killer in her amazing stint as "Saffron" the would-be Mrs. Reynolds. She's the highlight for sure.
- 9.BushwhackedGenuinely made me scared of Reavers and makes me wish that there was more Firefly to do them justice. Reavers are the Chekov's gun that never fired.
- 10.War StoriesAn episode that humanize the relationship between Wash and Zoe, and the first time we see River's crazy assassin powers.
- 11.JaynestownVery fun, and very funny, but not much else. Honestly I don't remember the central conflict. I do remember Jayne's hero song and the awkward Kaylee/Simon flirting.
- 12.The Train JobThe second pilot. The moral dilemma is a bit freshman psychology but it creates a good canvas to begin to get to know the characters.
- 13.TrashMrs. Reynolds back again! Christina Hendricks returns with more aliases and husbands than ever. It's fun, but a few too many "I was actually double crossing you!" moments to be anything other than fluff.
- 14.SafeComes off as a bit of a filler episode when we all knew the crew was going to come through for the Tam siblings eventually. River doing her dance might have been the first time I actually liked her in the series though.