REASONS I'M STARTING A WRITER'S COLONY FOR YOUNG WOMEN
It's called The Grange, and it's kickatarting (that's a verb, right?) now at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1518271928/the-grange-a-new-writers-colony-for-young-women?ref=project_tumblr
- •Life is distracting, and hard, and busy, and stressful. Two weeks away in the Michigan woods by a lake, at least to me, seems like writer Prozac.
- •Writing is lonely. It's a job that requires you to be in your head for long periods of time, making up imaginary worlds and people. Having a community around you WHILE you retreat into yourself is comforting in a fundamental way.
- •Women are still underrepresented in literatureCheck out any Best Books Ever Written list and do some counting. Pull out any college syllabus. When I was younger, I used to write stories with male protagonists because I thought it was more "serious." Because those were my examples. Women shouldn't be relegated to "chick lit".
- •Women face hurdles to get their voice heard in the first placeThere's a reason authors use gender neutral initials on their book covers, especially if it's a science fiction book - people have deeply engrained pre-convinced opinions of a woman's name as the author. Read the Jezebel story about a girl who submitted her manuscript under the name "George" instead of her own.
- •People need mentors, and peers, with shares experience.Established writers have gone through the hurdles that young writers are facing. Mentorship is an important tool.
- •I posted this on reddit, and someone said I had an "air of feminazi"Which coincidentally is the name of my new perfume
- •This isn't a "sexism because I hate men" thingIt's for women because, right now, women need a community to come together in an environment completely free from judgment and share advice, stories, and quiet time to write some kick ass projects.
- •Amazing women have already agreed to help, and I'm so genuinely humbled by the response so far.
- •UPDATE: fixed the link!