Prep And One - Paintings / Sculpture / Fashion Focus Tour At The National Gallery Of Victoria
The artworks we looked at today and some of the activities and thinking.
- •Torso - Gaston Lachasie - French - 1937Sculpture. Why is she missing her head and arms? What is she thinking?
- •Forever Bicycles 2015 - Ai WeiweiSculpture - Freedom, getting pulled apart and packed away. A lot of work goes into creating these.
- •PIXcell - Kohei Nowa 2012Sculpture / Fashion (the glass globes) using different materials to make a sculpture. Giving new life to the deer.
- •Guardian Spirt - Chinese 700 ADSculpture - How many animals can you see in this sculpture? - Math time: How old is this artwork?
- •Jar - Chinese 2400BCVery old, how has it been kept clean all this time? Will your jars at home end up in a gallery? Math time: How old is this? (4416 years old - as old as your teacher!)
- •Avalokiteshvara - Tibeto / Chinese 17th CenturyDiety of compassion. How many heads? (11) How many hands? (1000). What could you do with all those heads and hands? (Help a lot of people!)
- •Lid from inner coffin - Egypt - 747-600 BCMultiple parts (like Russian dolls) This display has a Set of items, what are they all used for?
- •Whistler's Mother (arrangement in grey and black no. 1) 1871Not called 'Whistlers Mother' read actual name (in French) Fashion - Her bedroom hat (Boudoir Cap)
- •Fashion - Why are people in fancy clothes in a lot of these paintings?Like your best clothes for a family / school photo.
- •Fashion - Why is Mary in blue clothes?Blue paint was expensive to make.
- •The Synnot Children - Joseph Wright of DerbyThe Snot children!, Fireplace - look at design.
- •Fashion - Does it tell you how old a picture is?Have you seen pictures of your parents when they were young?
- •The Banquet of Cleopatra - Giambattista Tiepolo - 1743-44Cleopatra and Marc Anthony - What can you tell about them from what they are wearing?
- •The Pyramidal flower vase - Delf - 1690Activity: Can you guess what this is used for?
- •Painting: Mark Rothko - untitled RED - 1956Using colours to tell a story, not just pictures.
- •The Weeping Woman - Pablo Picasso - 1937How does this make you feel?, Story of war, sadness...