Chicago junk food
The Second City is second to none when it comes to cheap, fatty, stick-to-your-bones food. Some of my favorites
- •Portillo'sThis chain has it going on. My faves are: Italian beef (dipped, hot peppers), hot dog with everything and cheeseburger. Their Polish sausage is solid. Good deserts too. Look, you can go everywhere for multiple meals for Chicago's best junk food or you can load up for one meal at Portillo's and get it all (except deep dish) over with. Do you really want to spend your 4 to 5 days eating hot dogs and burgers? Your colon will thank you.
- •Maxwell's411 W 31st St, Chicago, IL 60616. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week delivering quality encased meats and a divine bone-in pork chop sandwich. There's no seating and if you want to eat there, there's ledge space available. It's wonderful and it's an experience. Warning: this is not the best part of town.
- •Buffalo Joe's812 Clark St, Evanston, IL 60201. The best buffalo wings ever.
- •Lou Malnati's PizzaThere are better, smaller mom and pop shops but Lou's is consistently good and has multiple locations. I personally like the sausage patty the best. New York has better pizza. There, I said it.
- •Paradise Pup1724 S River Rd, Des Plaines, IL 60018. It's very close to O'Hare so it's a great place to stop by after your flight. This place has the best burgers I've ever had in my life and for under $6. Seating is very limited and so are the hours.
- •Johnnie's BeefThe famed Italian Beef sandwich is a thing of glory. If you haven't tried one, you're not a good person. Johnnie's takes pride in their food. They do it right. There's two locations, one near the airport, the other in the city. Not to be mistaken for Johnny's Beef and Gyros.