EACH HOUR OF WORK I SPENT WEARING SHOES WITH NO SOCKS (WITH COMMENTARY)
An eight hour shift I spent without socks on because I got locked out of my house and couldn't get socks to put on
- •Hour 1: GenesisNo foot-sweats. I feel confident. Like just maybe I'll persevere. I celebrate with a breakfast sandwich.
- •Hour 2: A turning of tidesI don't know if it was the salt in the processed meat or the bold flavors of the western omelette, but something in that sandwich brings about a certain familiar humidity. This is the first time I've noticed how my body handles the abuse I put it through in eight months.
- •Hour 3: A fracture in the leveeI hold steady. Someone comments on the fact that I'm not wearing socks. I explain that there was "no time to get socks," which makes perfect sense if you already know the details of my morning.
- •Hour 4: LunchHad lunch
- •Hour 5A whirlwind. I had to turn on a dime and slid in my shoe
- •Hour 6I tried doing work to distract myself from the Disgusting Predicament. when it became clear that this would not help, I resumed not doing work
- •Hour 7I cold-called a pastor seeking advice. When it became clear that this would not help, I resumed practicing my existing religion (worshipping professional athletes. Very strong people!)
- •Hour 8I left an hour early and bought new shoes, which were dry