THINGS I SAW COVERING THE EUROPEAN REFUGEE CRISIS
Just spent the last week in Greece, Serbia, Hungary, and Austria for ABC News.
- •Entire families crammed into rickety boats, making the dangerous crossing from Turkey to Greece, where whole beaches are littered with discarded life jackets and deflated dinghies.
- •Refugees brawling as they struggle to board a ferry to the Greek mainland.
- •So many high end tourists on the Greek islands that were also crawling with refugees. Bizarre contrast. This is a cat I met at a fish taverna in Lesbos.
- •We followed 11 young Syrians making the 2,500 mile trek. These are thoroughly modern migrants. They're constantly on Facebook, taking selfies, etc.
- •My cameraman/producer fell asleep on a train. Some nights, we got zero sleep.
- •I came home and was greeted by this dude. Through sheer accident of birth, his life will be, I hope, much easier.