WHERE TO START IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO THE UNDERRATED 1990S POWER POP BAND SUPERDRAG
Superdrag was one of my favorite bands in the 90s. No one else I knew liked them, and this was before the Internet, so I couldn't find fellow fans that way. (I've always been too lazy to go to actual shows.) They put out 4 albums, 2 EPs, then broke up. Come with me down the rabbit hole of 90s indie arcana...
- •Sucked OutThis was their one legit hit. http://bit.ly/1PdILDR You will like it immediately. If not, we cannot be friends.
- •I'm Expanding My MindAfter that one hit, the label was pressuring the guys to come up with a bunch of new, commercially viable tracks. So Superdrag made the elegantly self-destructive, punk rock move of recording a gorgeous album with almost no commercial potential, called Head Trip in Every Key. Their label later dropped them. This is the first song off that album - which is now regarded in some circles as a lost masterpiece. (I know this because I now have the Internet.) http://bit.ly/1J3bkop
- •AmphetamineThis is exactly the kind of experimental – but still catchy! – song that I suspect provoked the label to much disappointment and anger. http://bit.ly/1N1j1wb
- •HellbentFrom the same record. Never understood why this wasn't a hit. Incidentally, I practiced playing the drums to this song for years. I still suck. http://bit.ly/1P4vE77
- •Bright PavillionsAfter Head Trip, Superdrag made a follow up, In the Valley of Dying Stars, that didn't make a huge splash, but included a couple of great songs, especially this one. You can hear in the vertiginous guitars on this track the seeds of the current shoegaze-inspired band, the Lees of Memory, that some of the former members recently formed.http://bit.ly/1Pj6IcR
- •Lighting the WayAlso from In the Valley of Dying stars. Just the kind of power pop banger that makes this band one I return to so often. After this record, they made one more (mostly a miss, with the exception of a few beery, twangy chestnuts), and broke up. The lead singer, a dedicated substance abuser, hit bottom, then became a born again Christian. http://bit.ly/1P4vFIa (They regrouped for a new record in 2012, at which point I actually got to meet them! http://bit.ly/1Mmz5s4