Attempting to Predict Pitchfork's Best Albums of 2015
Each year I play this little game with myself where I try to predict what the @pitchfork best albums of the year will be. In 2013, I guess 9 of 10 of the correct albums and in 2014 I guessed 8 of the 10 (not in the correct order). I'll update this tomorrow to show how close I got.
- 1.Predicted: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly | Actual: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a ButterflyI feel pretty confident about this although there are two reasons this will not be #1. Pitchfork has never given the #1 spot to an artist who has already been named album of the year (good kid, m.A.A.d city was #1 in 2012). In addition, the #1 album hasn't gone to the same artist/album as their #1 song ("Alright" was named the #1 song today) since 2009 with Animal Collective's "My Girls" from Merriweather Post Pavilion. Despite these unprecedented circumstances, I think TPAB has the best odds.
- 2.Predicted: Jamie xx - In Colour | Actual: Jamie xx - In ColourI didn't think this would be so high, but 3 songs are on Pitchfork's Best 100 Tracks. The only other album with 3 tracks in the top 100 is To Pimp A Butterfly. Based on the Best Tracks list, it seems TPAB bests In Colour because TPAB has a song at the #1 AND #4 spot, therefore In Colour comes in second.
- 3.Predicted: Tame Impala - Currents | Actual: Grimes Art AngelsThis album got a 9.3 along with TPAB, In Colour, and Carrie & Lowell. Currents and Carrie and Lowell both have 2 songs in the top 100, so I think they will rank behind the above 2 albums that have 3 songs each in the top 100. I think Currents ranks higher based on "Let it Happen" coming in at #5 in the best tracks, while Carrie & Lowell's highet ranking song was "Should Have Known Better" at #11.
- 4.Predicted: Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell | Actual: Vince Staples - Summertime '06See Currents description
- 5.Predicted: Vince Staples - Summertime '06 | Actual: Tame Impala - CurrentsAlso has 2 songs in the top 100. Ranks below the above 4 albums because it got an 8.8 compared to their 9.3
- 6.Predicted: Grimes - Art Angels | Actual: Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & LowellThis might not actually be this high because it got a 8.5 score, but Pitchfork loves Grimes so much that I think it will be in the top 10. Visions also had an 8.5 score and it came in at #6 on the 2012 list. "Flesh Without Blood" is at #7 on the best tracks list and "REALiTi" is at #17, so this also supports an 8.5 album being so high.
- 7.Predicted: Deafheaven - New Bermuda | Actual: D'Angelo/The Vanguard - Black MessiahThis album got a 9.0, but since it's a metal album it won't be super high in the top 10. None of the songs even ranked on the Best tracks list, so maybe it won't even be in the top ten at all. Sunbather was in the top 10 in 2013 with an 8.9, so I figured this should be in the top 10 because it is a similar scenario.
- 8.Predicted: Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit | Actual: Miguel - WildheartNot positive if this will be in the top 10, but 2 songs from the album were in the top 100. With "Depreston" at #9, I think it would make sense for this 8.6 album to be in the top 10.
- 9.Predicted: Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete | Actual: Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just SitA bit of a wild card because only 1 song was in the top 100 and it wasn't super high ("Sticky Drama" at #46). Regardless, this isn't a single oriented album, and 0PN's Replica was in the top ten in 2011 with Replica. Similar to Deafheaven's situation, I'm guessing that historical precedent will ring true again.
- 10.Predicted: Miguel - Wildheart | Actual: Kamasi Washington - The EpicNot sure about this one, but an 8.9 score makes it the highest rated album that I haven't already named. Other albums that could be in the top ten: Panda Bear, Kamasi Washington, Sleater Kinney, Father John Misty, Drake. Maybe just MAYBE D'angelo's album makes the list, but since Beyoncé's album from 2013 didn't make the 2014 list, I don't think D'angelo's will make the 2015 just because it was technically released in 2014.