ON STAYING A NEW YORKER WHEN YOU MOVE TO LA
I love LA. I love NYC. I have no regrets.
- •Wear all black often.
- •WALK PLACES.Places that aren't Runyan.
- •Hoard piles of New Yorkers.But, like, don't read them for months. (To be clear, hoard piles of magazines--not your friends who come visit.)
- •Drink more coffee than green tea.
- •Read books.I brought 17 boxes of books when I moved west. My fireplace is filled with them (don't worry, it doesn't work) and I have 3 bookshelves. When friends come to my pad the first thing they say is: whoa you have a lot of books.
- •Reference Anna and Grace when people talk about fashion.
- •Get a job at a magazine.I didn't come out here to work in magazines again but they found me anyway. Print is not dead. (Also I realize this applies to me mostly.)
- •Befriend other New Yorkers in LA.So you can all talk about the physical, mental, and emotional space you have now.
- •Fly back east a few times a year to catch up on theatre.
- •Do not wear a winter coat just bc it dips below 60.Come on.
- •Begin sentences with "well my therapist says."JK this is the same on both coasts!
- •Find your local bodega.No, Whole Foods is not a bodega.
- •Refuse to make eye contact because what are we? Immediate family?Suggested by @videodrew