SOME FAVORITE SONDHEIM SONGS (ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 85TH BIRTHDAY)
A primer for those who need a little jazz hands in their life from a Broadway baby who left her theatre-loving heart in NYC.
- •"Being Alive," CompanyNeed an anthem for ennui? Grab a piano.
- •"What More Do I Need," Saturday NightIf you're a New Yorker, this is your jam. If you left NYC and moved to LA, this will make you cry every time it shuffles onto your playlist. http://bit.ly/1C2JMJ4
- •"I'm Still Here," FolliesJarvis Cocker does a cover of this gem in the documentary Six By Sondheim that will blow your fucking mind. http://bit.ly/1CdTDxc
- •"Giants in the Sky," Into the Woods
- •"Comedy Tonight," A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the ForumThis wasn't Sondheim's original choice to open the musical, but I can't imagine it being anything else. A great song to pull you out of your woe-is-me mood.
- •"Sooner or Later (I'll Get My Man)," Dick TracyMadonna sang it and it won an Oscar. So.
- •"A Little Priest," Sweeney ToddEvery lyric and every word of this show is perfect, but this song makes me giggle. MRS LOVETT: Since marine doesn't appeal to you, 'ow about... rear admiral? SWEENEY: Too salty. I prefer general. MRS LOVETT: With, or without his privates? "With" is extra.
- •"Ladies Who Lunch," Company
- •"Old Friends," Merrily We Roll AlongDid you go to theatre camp? This was on your bunk mix.
- •"Unworthy of Your Love," AssassinsThe best pop song you'll ever hear about Assassins.
- •"You Gotta Have a Gimmick," Gypsy
- •"The Miller's Son," A Little Night MusicDon't try this at Marie's Crisis or showtunes karaoke.
- •"Loving You," Passions