THE ESSENTIAL BETTE MIDLER
Inspired by her amazing show last night, Cece Bloom, and Iris Myandowski, the hand-walking queer.
- •"(You Gotta Have) Friends"The ultimate Bathhouse Betty 70s anthem. This was pre-glam, gay icon Bette. Watch her entire shtick at the Continental Baths. MUST SEE. http://bit.ly/1LP0Ia0
- •"The Rose"Magic. The title song from her film The Rose. If you don't cry every time you hear this song, you might want to check if you're a robot and/or dead.
- •"Otto Titsling"Arguably the second best song from Beaches. (Narrowly beating out the harmony of "O Come All Ye Faithful she duets with Barbara Hershey in Latin.)
- •"I Think It's Gonna Rain Today"An absolute heart-slayer and the best song from Beaches. When she performed this at her show, the entire Staples center (I was by far the youngest one there who wasn't a gay man) hushed in awe. I cried.
- •"One For My Baby (and One More For the Road)"Please watch the last time she sang this for Johnny Carson. He cried, she cried, we all cried. http://bit.ly/1PTLIxi
- •"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"From The Divine Miss M. And boy oh boy is she divine.
- •"From a Distance"For better or for worse I know all the words and had to learn it in sign language at camp.
- •"You Don't Own Me"Not a Bette song per se, but hello First Wives Club perfection.
- •"Wind Beneath My Wings"....yeah.
- •"Millworker"This James Taylor-written song is such a folksy joy. Bette's version is like the best possible maple syrup on homemade pancakes.
- •"Waterfalls"Her cover of the TLC classic is surprisingly perfect.
- •The entire Live At Last albumSuggested by @jon