THE THINGS I DO TO MAKE SURE I'M DOING IT RIGHT (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ACTUALLY DOING IT)
The creative process, man. <shakes head>
- •Watch lots of pilots.
- •Text friends to ask questions about formatting.
- •Read scripts of TV shows I love.
- •Read scripts of TV shows I hate.
- •Eat cookies (totally unrelated).
- •Research minute, unimportant aspect of a character for hours.Suggested by @bigjack
- •Text successful screenwriter to ask what he thinks of voiceover.He hates it. Move on.
- •Read John August's blog.
- •Map things out with index cards.
- •Look up all the different kinds of outlines.But then get overwhelmed and stare at index cards.
- •Bang out 20 pages in a day; as a reward, watch a great show with an amazingly dark, broken, clever lead; reread script and decide it's terrible.
- •Fight the urge to go back and edit before the draft is done.
- •Vomit draft.
- •Start this process all over again.