THE 15 BEST HORROR FILMS OF THE PAST 25 YEARS (1990-2015). HAPPY HALLOWEEN.
The 1970s and the 1980s were the best years so far for horror but the past 25 years has brought us some pretty great horror movies. These are listed in alphabetical order.
- •The Blair Witch ProjectThe beginning of the found footage trend and still the very best of the subgenre
- •The ConjuringI'm not a big fan of ghost horror. Im rarely scared of it. But this one is so well done and a bit terrifying.
- •FrailtyNothing is scarier than people who commit evil in the name of God.
- •Goodnight MommyA cautionary tale against plastic surgery and having children.
- •Haute TensionA nearly perfect slasher film. Except that one scene that doesn't make much sense once the killer is revealed. If you've seen it, you know.
- •It FollowsOne of the best films of 2015. Hopefully, it brings on the next wave of great horror films.
- •Let the Right One inI'm generally not a vampire film fan, but this one is just so great.
- •MiseryKathy Bates is one of horror's classic villains in the rare excellent Stephen King adaptation.
- •The OthersScary children and frail Pre over Botoxed Nicole Kidman made for a spooky film.
- •Paranormal ActivityBlair Witch is the king of found footage and this its queen. The sequels not so much
- •SawEach sequel was worse and worse but the first one was clever, scary and had a great final twist.
- •ScreamThe beginning of self referential horror. But this one actually had scares along with the laughs. Especially in that classic beginning scene.
- •The Silence of the LambsThe king of this era. It deserved all of those Oscars.
- •Wolf Creek"based" on a true story. If you're going to travel, don't go into the wilderness!
- •You're nextThe best of the home invasion subgenre.