Country Songs I Love by Non-country Artists
Completely open to the possibility that I know nothing about Country
- •Don't Go Back To Rockville - REMI think the Country veneer allowed them to be more lyrically sincere and direct than they had been to that point.
- •Range Life - PavementFor someone like me, who respected Pavement but didn't love them because they were too edgy, Range Life was proof that they could do songs for the likes of me; they just didn't care to.
- •Gone for Good - The ShinsSecond album is a great time to do a country song. I am such a sucker for slide guitar.
- •All of Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The ByrdsThis example is a bit different because this incarnation of The Byrds, with Gram Parsons, was basically a country band. Whatever. This album is amazing.
- •Fire in the Canyon - Fountains of WayneFOW can do no wrong melodically, in my book. Their lyrics are almost too sincere for country, it feels a little amateurish. But part of the charm of FOW is their sweet, smart teenager sincerity.