Fall in Love With La: A Reading/viewing/eating List in Progress
These list items all share a certain view of LA - proud, defiant, uniquely American.
- •Greater Los Angeles, BLDG BLOGhttp://bit.ly/1zqPOo6 I reference this essay all the time.
- •LA Lightshttp://bit.ly/1AzQpz7 I love the dense, neon, romantic Hong Kong of Wong Kar-Wai films. Until LA gets its own Wong Kar-Wai, this will suffice.
- •MagnoliaBasically the BLDG BLOG essay as a film.
- •The food writing of Jonathan GoldThe first restaurant critic to win the Pulitzer. He won while at LA Weekly, but now he is at the LA Times. A champion of my favorite type of restaurant, which LA is king of, the cheap strip mall ethnic joint.
- •The food of Roy ChoiHis ouevre encapsulates the best of LA - diverse, brash, populist