THE KARAOKE PROCTOR IS MAD AT ME
I go to karaoke so many Wednesday nights the proctor has come to hate me.
- •We have had so many microagressions / his energy is toxic
- •He might be depressed but unfortunately while I do empathize karaoke is a pedestrian sport of joy and I need him on that level
- •He is a liar and chooses favorites
- •I sing the same songs week after week: Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, I Try by Macy Gray, Absolutely (This Is The Story Of A Girl) by whoever sings that
- •Maybe he is sick of these songs and my repeated dedications/comments before and after them (e.g. Every time after I sing Fast Car I urge the audience to donate to their local shelter. I personally think this is the least I can do.)
- •He can't spell which is hard given that he runs his karaoke without books. Again I empathize but it has led to conflict e.g:
- •He once yelled at me because I gently told him he spelled Absolutely wrong hence why he could not find my song ("YOU TYPE IT IN")
- •He doesn't have any songs post 9/11 so I can't sing any Amy [Winehouse] which is very hard for me
- •We once shared very heated words when I asked him why I hadn't been up yet his friends had performed three songs
- •We are both always drunk when we interact which is probably not helpful.
- •Would literally go through couple's therapy with him because this relationship is super important to me