Ten Things I'm Currently Obsessed With
OK, so obsession is a strong word, but here is a list of random things I currently really, really enjoy. (Please don't judge me).
- •Friday Night Lights: The SeriesI'm late to the party, but I recently started working my way through this series. If I'm being completely honest, I can't figure out if it's great or terrible, but it is compelling and I'm hooked. I'm about four episodes into Season 4 so things are starting to get good. (Go Lions).
- •"Born to Run" by Bruce SpringsteenThe new autobiography by The Boss has provided some much-needed distraction from the presidential campaign. And besides that, it's great! Seriously, I'm only seven chapters in, but it's one of the best rock biographies I have read.
- •GritsGrowing up in Oklahoma, grits weren't a thing. And although I have lived in the Deep South since 2009, I have only recently come to appreciate this southern delicacy. In fact, I'm on the hunt for America's best grits so feel free to send suggestions my way.
- •THe JayhawksI've literally been a fan of this band for 25 years, but I'll be seeing them live in a few weeks and I'm beyond ecstatic.
- •iPhone 7I'm not usually obsessed with many tech-related items, but my new iPhone 7 definitely makes the list. Having Siri available by voice command is pretty great. In fact, a few minutes ago, it was "Hey, Siri, who won the Cubs game?" And she told me! (The 3D Touch features are great, too).
- •macOS SierraThe second tech-related item on my list is the new OS from Apple. There are plenty of great new features, but being able to unlock my MacBook Pro with my Apple Watch is super nifty and convenient.
- •Zaxby's french friesI'm a big fan of french fries in general, but these gems from Zaxby's are sooooo good. The crinkle cut is nice, but that seasoning? #winning
- •Salty Dog beer by Biloxi Brewing Co.This unique beer is worth a try. Salty Dog is a Gose (pronounced Goes-Uh), and is a German-style wheat beer with sea salt and coriander. Sea Salt is added to mimic the salinity of the natural spring waters found in the region where this style originates, which is adjacent to salt mines, and coriander was used to offset that saltiness in the beer.
- •Converse Chuck TaylorsMy southern friends would probably tell me that my white Chucks are no longer appropriate to wear now that Labor Day has passed, but I'm ignoring that advice. I've worn Converse tennis shoes for 30 years now - long before they were hip - and I hope to be wearing them for another 30 years.
- •Mercury Pizza Co.This is a local pizza joint here in Hattiesburg, Miss. and their brick-fired pies are the best thing I've had in a long time. It sounds crazy, but their pulled pork pizza is fantastic!