Why being in your mid-twenties is great
Make no mistake: if you’re 25, you’re not longer in your early twenties. Maybe you could get away with saying you were in your early twenties when you were 24, but you were pushing it then, and you’re just lying now.
- •Autonomy: you’re not at the beck and call of your parents. They may have even accepted you as a real, live adult.
- •Identity: you’re working out who you want to be, and that is scary but also will shape your life in an incredible way, and will never stop shaping it.
- •Structure: not being a student has its perks. You have more control over how you spend your day because you haven’t woken up at 12 and wasted half of it!
- •Direction: you’re older, wiser and take less shit. Nuff said.
- •Confidence: you hold yourself so much better; you know what to do with your awesome brain and body.
- •Health: hangovers don’t sit so well anymore (as I'm realising this morning). That’s your body’s way of telling you to fix up, look sharp. It’s not all kale, chia and tears of boredom – just try not to feel awful about what you’re putting in your mouth.
- •Dolla: It feels really good to be earning, supporting yourself and not living off a student loan. This is another form of point 1, Autonomy, but of a different kind. It’s proof that you’re growing up, rather than just your age necessitating people seeing you as an adult.
- •Friendship: You appreciate your friends so much more when you don’t live near all of them because you share a campus. The time you spend with them becomes more precious.
- •Stability: if you’re anything like me, you have much less drama in your life than when you were younger. When you’re experiencing something for the first time, it’s all blood, sweat and tears. Now, you’re like, “I’m over it. Give me a fluffy pillow and an episode of [insert literally any good series]”.
- •Sass: It’s a certain je-ne-sais-quoi… just that little extra something that makes you say, “Hey, I can take on the world”. Maybe it’s the possibilities ahead of you; maybe it’s a combination of all of the above. But the effect is intoxicating. I can’t wait to kick ass at 30.