Already on li.st? Open in app.
Death is incomprehensible. My daughter's good friend Tom Barnes committed suicide yesterday. Boys he had plans with went to his room to find him hanging. He was alive and got rushed him to the hospital, where he passed. Tom left no note. Not sure how to handle this. Here's my plan, open to input:
- •Let your child have their feelingsThese will range from hysterical, to calm, to angry, to sad, to guilty, to numb. All are acceptable
- •Encourage talking and processing
My greatest fear is being buried alive. Some MRIs feel like being in a confined coffin ⚰ for an hour while skull-shattering sounds assault you aurally.👂🏼Not exactly fun. Here are some tips to surviving ...
- •Take anti-anxiety medication prior to leaving your house 💊
- •Take Uber or Lyft there because you don't need the added headache & hassle of driving and parking. MRIs suck enough on their own 🚕
- •Close you eyes before they wheel you into the coffin. *Before* 🙈
- •You are more vulnerable than you want to be.You might like to think you're a fully independent, self-sufficient organism. But there will be times in your life when you can't do it all on your own – you might need help physically, emotionally, etc. It's OK not to know everything. It's OK to ask for help. It's ok to accept help. We are interconnected beings; we need each other. That's a good thing.
- •You are stronger than you realize.Life is hard and can feel overwhelming. Sometimes giving up sounds easier than carrying on. But you will repeatedly be surprised at how much you can handle. You're capable of much more than you think. You are a resilient creature. 🏋🏼
San Francisco is great, but far from perfect perfect. As evidenced by ...
- •Weather delays out of SFO
- •Potholes in the street 🕳
- •The paucity of parking 🚗
This happened in October 2015. Names withheld to mask the guilty. Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •Met a very handsome man through a mutual friend.We flirted. He asked for my number. He got my number.
- •Abbreviated first date (my fault/schedule)Long enough to learn he is well-educated, wealthy, well-connected, funny. Bonus points for being a dad. Double bonus as one of his kids is dyslexic. Shared experiences! Sensed physical chemistry and established need for second date. So far, so good.
- •Second date, he wants to take me to the theatre.He drops that he is on the board of our local conservatory group. I had recently suffered heartbreak and was ready to mope ... but here is my future husband! I bring my A game. Dolce & Gabbana bustier dress, Valentino heels. Hair, makeup, etc all on point. In short, I looked A-mazing.💃🏼 💅🏽👠
Some might call my love affairs a problem. (Haters, advert your gaze.) Shoe lovers understand. Let me count the ways I adore some kicks in my footwear museum ...
- •Matchsticks Heels 🔥We became lovers before Louboutin entered my life. True Cinderella transformation when I first stepped into you. People stopped, commented, asked for a closer look, took photos of us together. You are a work of art and we had a good run. I haven't forgotten you; just taking a break. If you keep your satin, we both keep our sanity
- •One-night stand 💫My friend insisted we meet. Lace, mesh, sequins, leather--you had a lot going on. We only shared one night, but what a night it was
- •Spring fling w/ Swirly satin sling 🌀You colorful, delicate delight I treasured for a season. An intense, bright romance that couldn't last
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •LiveYou're born. With body and with breath. Savor this gift no matter how shitty life gets.
- •LearnUse your mind. Expand it. Decide what you want to stand for and who you want to be. A clue: Ahimsa/golden rule are good starting points.
- •EarnA degree. A living. Respect. Others' trust.