SOME MOVIES WORTH WATCHING, AND THE WRONG WAYS TO WATCH THEM
- •50/50, during an eight-mile training run on a treadmillSobbing and sweating, sweating and sobbing.
- •Gone Girl, alone in a hotel room bed
- •Sleepers, on a first dateYeah, how did we know this particular brand of creepy would be such a date killer? The Internet was much smaller in the late 90s.
- •More than one of the following in the same sitting: The Sixth Sense, Seven, and/or Twelve MonkeysI can't remember which two of these films I watched back-to-back in the basement of my childhood home a decade or so ago. The Venny overlaps are many: numerical titles, plot twists, Pitt freak outs, crazy original art direction and set design. The gripping feeling of unsettledness after watching, however, is best in single doses.
- •Menace II Society, in a high school World History class (approximately two years after it came out)Teacher screened it on one of those classic roll-in TV/VCR carts without facilitating any discussion or making an attempt to bridge the content to the curriculum. He wanted to shut us up, which I get, but it was either a missed opportunity and/or a wrong call.