Steps to be successful at networking events. How to get out there, make contacts and start business relationships.
- 1.Who's going?Find out who's going and who you want to talk to. The event website should have a list of attendees. Do a shortlist of the most important ones and the secondary ones.
- 2.Background check!Find out who these people are and what they can help you with. Find areas were you can collaborate and areas where you might be valuable to them. Do your homework!
- 3.Your PitchPrepare a 1 minute pitch were you sell yourself or your company. Highlight what your strengths are and what kind of collaboration you're looking for. Be engaging, relaxed and straightforward!
- 4."Let's keep in touch!"After your pitch keep the conversation going. They will probably pitch their company too and afterwards you can discuss things in a little more detail. Don't get too technical though!
- 5.AftermathWhen you get home revise the notes you took and take notes of notes. Send a simple follow up email the next day saying thanks for the meeting and highlighting some parts to make them remember you. Keep in touch once in awhile, relationships take a while to build!