Blind Melon's No Rain - A lyrical study
No Rain has long been one of my favorite songs. Musically, the song is wonderful. But a look at the lyrics show just how crushing depression can be. I'm actively trying to get out of one of the most depressing stretches of my life, and I wanted to dive into just how these lyrics hit home.
- •It starts with that distinctive opening riffKinda upbeat, right? It's definitely not a Bright Eyes type of depressing song. But lyrically … lets go deeper …
- •All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain.Very relatable opening line. And then a perfect example of how very plain his life is. In my experience, during my most depressing moments, I've felt just like this. A boring, plain life where the most exciting thing happening is watching puddles gather rain.
- •All I can do is just pour some tea for two. And speak my point of view. But it's not sane. It's not sane …Who believes that his views are not sane? Is this outside opinion or is it how he seems himself? There are times when I sit, speaking to someone, and feeling like the other person probably thinks I'm boring or weird, but is too polite to say something.
- •I just want someone to say to me, "I'll always be there when you wake"Ugh. So do I. The loneliness. The wishing he has more. I know they say that you have to be okay with being alone … love yourself before you can love others. But it's so hard to feel this kind of loneliness. I dream of having someone care about me in that way again.
- •You know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today. So stay with me and I'll have it made.It takes all he has to not cry for just one day. One single day. He's begging for companionship. Even if not a relationship, there are many times when I wish I just had someone to turn to. I often feel like I'm being annoying when I ask my friends if they want to grab dinner or see a movie. And when they do say yes, I feel like it's out of pity.
- •And I don't understand why I sleep all day. And I start to complain when there's no rain.Not wanting to get out of bed. Wishing for rain. Hoping for gloomy days. Telltale signs of depression. The past few weeks, I have literally gone to bed before 9pm. I get home from work, eat, get ready for the next day, go to bed. No motivation to do anything else. Also, I love rainy days.
- •And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away but it's a great escape.Sometimes you need that escape. For me, it may not be a book, maybe a movie or a tv show. But yeah, when I am actually awake, I try to watch something that will take me to a happier place.