My favorite summer songs 📂
When you're younger than I, summer has a completely different feeling than the other seasons. Less responsibility, more fun things to do, and tons of memories to make. Music can always bring me back to a moment, and these songs bring me back to summer moments, whether they were officially released in summer or not.
- •All Star - Smash MouthSummer 2001 - although it was about 2 years old at this pony, Shrek made this song unstoppable. It was absolutely everywhere. It brings me back to seeing Shrek in the theaters. My friend Pete worked at the local Regal, and we went to see it one summer afternoon. It was the summer after my first year at college, so it was the first time I'd seen a few friends since they left for their schools.
- •Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews BandSummer 1998 - yes, this song did first entry my consciousness in 1996. But the first dmb cd I bought was Crash, during my summer working in 1998, with my first paycheck! That album, with this song leading the way, created the obsession that still continues, 18 years later
- •Summer Girls - LFOSummer 1999 - released on my birthday, June 29, 1999, this is one of those songs that just had to be a summer song. Filled with rhymes and non sequiturs, this silly song took over in the summer before my senior year of high school. Abercrombie and Fitch was at its height of popularity, and the random pop culture references to Alex P. Keaton and Macaulay Culkin, and "Billy Shakespeare" were fun to sing along to, in this first summer with my driver license
- •Steal My Sunshine - LenSummer 1999 - another one that was constantly sung in my car throughout the summer and into the school year! To this day, the song rarely fails to make me smile. The lyrics are carefree and make me feel like I felt back then … no responsibility, no stress. Life wasn't perfect, but it was easier.
- •Dilemma - Nelly, ft Kelly RowlandSummer 2002 - the summer that I first fell in love. This was also the first summer I worked at a different location for my job. I had a small commute, and I loved listening to music during those late night drives home after closing up. This song reminds me of those nights. Every song made me feel lots of feelings, as I was falling in love with a girl who was 1,500 miles away.
- •Informer - SnowSummer 1993 - not all of these are good songs. This song brings me back to a barbecue that my elementary school threw, right at the end of my 5th grade year. We were too young to understand or know that the song was about The singer being charged with 2 counts of attempted murder. We just liked singing super fast!
- •Island In The Sun - WeezerSummer 2005 - this song came out in 2001. I have specific memories of it four summers after, however. I had just moved to South Dakota, and was still getting used to living in a new city/state/region for the first time. I remember driving to the falls, in downtown Sioux Falls for a nighttime light show one night in late July. This song came on the radio as the sky had this beautiful pink tint to it. I felt like I finally was at peace with my life. Didn't last long …
- •Kiss From A Rose - SealSummer 1995 - when Batman Forever came out, this song was everywhere. While Seal may have been well known across the pond, this was America's introduction to him. This song will always remind me of seeing that movie, and of summers going to Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. This song played at the original Batman: The Ride. I don't think it plays anymore …
- •Everywhere - Michelle BranchSummer 2001 - first time I heard this was in American Pie 2, that summer. For some reason, though, this song brings me directly back to a night in August 2001. My old high school gang got together. We headed up to Port Jefferson … a waterfront hamlet that is a pretty big hangout on summer nights. We walked around Main Street, went to a fancyish restaurant. Went to play some pool. It felt like I was finally growing up. I don't why the song brings me there though.
- •Yeah! - Usher ft Lil Jon and LudacrisSummer 2004 - this song took over the entire year, basically. But driving to Six Flags with my best friend, with this playing, will always jump in my head whenever it comes on. Andrew and his wife just had to deal with a terrible loss and I wish I could bring him back those days.
- •Summertime Sadness - Lana Del RaySummer 2013 - as my marriage was ending and I was trying to adjust to this major change, this song was my anthem. It made me feel … safe and depressed. I don't know how to explain it, exactly. Something about the lines, "Oh, my God, I feel it in the air/Telephone wires above all sizzlin' like your stare/Honey I'm on fire I feel it everywhere/Nothing scares me anymore" just felt right at that point in my life.
- •Flagpole Sitta - Harvey DangerSummer 1999 - another American Pie song, this one was all over the place for a short period of time. I went to about 25 mets games with my brother and friends that year, and this song was always played at Shea. It just reminds me of those nights under the stars, enjoying my youth.