Songs That Really Hit ME Hard in High School
I've been listening to Apple music's curated lists of 1996/1997/1998/1999 pop and alternative music and have been reminded of some of the songs that got me through my horrible high school years
- •I'll Back You Up -Dave Matthews BandThis could have been so many songs by dmb. I'm choosing I'll Back You Up because it's a beautiful love song and I wanted so badly to be in love.
- •The Freshmen - The Verve PipeThe song appears to be about someone you love hurting, maybe even killing themselves, and you feel responsible. In high school, there were times that I was considering doing something drastic.
- •Criminal - Fiona AppleReally, I think I loved this song so much because I probably watched the video, oh, 4,000 times. Oh Fiona Apple …
- •A Long December - Counting CrowsFirst time I heard this song was December, 1996. I remember listening to it while trying to warm up in my brothers car after we shoveled for what seemed like hours one snowstorm. The music really sets the mood for this one.
- •Brick - Ben FoldsLyrically, such a strong song. The music is perfect for the subject matter. It feels like you're sitting in the car with them at 6am, still trying to wake up. The car is still pretty chill. You sit in silence. You're alone even though you're together
- •Sex and Candy - Marcy PlaygroundThis song brings me right back to the east cafeteria in 10th grade, while I was staying after school with my friends. It was playing on someone's boombox. I can still remember the smells. The sounds of the cafeteria. The feelings I had standing with my crush/best friend as she talked to her crush 😕 plus it's a great song
- •Fly - Sugar Ray10th grade homecoming. This played a lot while we were building our float and getting ready for the parade. I still love this song. All around the world statues crumble for mark McGrath.
- •Motorcycle Dive-By - 3rd Eye BlindThere were times when I would just sit in my room and play this on repeat for an hour. It's all about being around the girl you love, knowing that you'll never be with her. "And this is the last time we'll be friends again. And I'll get over you. You'll wonder who I am. And there's this burning, like there's always been. I've never been so alone. And I've never been so alive." Ugh those last two lines there. So alone. So many feelings. High school.
- •Tubthumping- ChumbawumbaIf you read my list on the first girl I ever thought I loved ( The First Girl I Ever "Loved" … a Tale of High School Heartbreak ) you may remember that I had to go to a birthday party for her the day after she rejected me. Well, I didn't want to. But I went. And as I walked in, this song was playing. And it made me feel okay.
- •Inside Out - Eve 6This song's lyrics are explicitly depressing. And angry. Wanting to put your heart in a blender just to forget about someone. Wow. Rendezvous and I'm through with you
- •Steal My Sunshine - LenWhat an uplifting song. It just fills me with happiness. I don't even understand the lyrics or if they're actual happy. But it really does make me feel good
- •All For You - Sister HazelI envisioned myself singing this to my girlfriend as a surprise one day. Never got the girlfriend.
- •Closer To Free - BoDeansNot just a great song, but the theme song to Party of Five.
- •Hook - Blues TravelerThis song is literally John Popper singing about how he can sing about anything and people wouldn't even realize that he wasn't singing about anything in particular as long as there was a good hook to bring you back to the song. So, he was basically demonstrating the point that he was making in the song! Plus the last part where he sings super fast … so perfect