Why Can't My Life Be Like Television?
There are many times in my life when I've watched something on television and thought my life would be just like that. I know that life doesn't work that way. But I dream and wish it did. Some of these shows/scenes/episodes still bring me to tears. My life hasn't worked out in my favor for 28 out of my 33 years. 😕
- •Boy Meets WorldThis show taught me what true love was. No one believed in love as much as Cory and Topanga. Nothing could stop them from being together. Not long distance. Not Lauren from the ski lodge. Not Topanga's parents divorce. They knew they were meant for each other. I have not experienced this yet. Not fully, anyway. I've been in two serious relationships, and in each of them, I was 100%, all in. I was Cory. They, however, never felt a strongly. Maybe one day I'll find my Topanga.
- •Dawson's CreekThis show started when I was a sophomore in high school. Perfect age for me to hate my life because it wasn't like Dawson Leery's life in Capeside. I loved the ridiculously smart way they talked. I loved how dramatic their lives were. I love that they had that core group of friends that were always there for each other. Plus, I had a huge crush on Katie Holmes. But my life wasn't like that. There wasn't non-stop drama and emotional moments. No one talked like that. I was boring. I wasn't Dawson
- •Freaks & GeeksIn high school, I toed the line between geek and non-geek. But my friend group was so much like the "geek" half of the show. We always had fun conversations. But they were nerdy. We certainly weren't popular. But this show gave me hope that my own Cindy Sanders would want to date me and give me my first kiss. Instead, I was alone til I was 20.
- •ScrubsBest friends spend all their time together. They work together all the time. They help each other through whatever they need. They may even fall in love! I don't have that kind of friend group. Nothing happens in my life.
- •The OfficeAfter college, and after my first girlfriend and I broke up, I wanted to believe that I would find love again. The office gave me that hope. This was a show with people my age, maybe a few years older. Jim and I were so alike in my mind. And he found true love. The episode "The Client", where Jim and Pam sway to "Sing" by Travis gives me goosebumps. Even at the end of The Dundies, when we see jim with a huge excited smile, probably thinking about that kiss after Pam made her speech. 😊Amazing
- •King of QueensThis show made me look so forward to being married and starting my life. The theme song is so sweet. "My eyes are getting weary. My back is getting tight. I'm sitting here in traffic on the Queensboro bridge tonight. But I don't care, 'cause all I want to do is cash my check and drive right home to you. Baby all my life I will be driving home to you". That made me so excited about when I would have someone to come home to. That didn't work out for me 😟
- •Parks & RecreationAside from it being another show that makes it seem like people who work together are all going to be best friends forever, it's Ben and Leslie that gives me some hope. They found each other later in life than I'm at. They're perfect for each other. "I love you and I like you" ❤️