CHRISTMAS EVE (2003)
The worst day/best day of my life
- •On Christmas Eve 2003, I came home from work to find my (now ex) wife crying.
- •We had been married since 1998, and together since '95.
- •Things weren't well with our marriage, and in retrospect, I know I wasn't perfect.
- •Anyway, I find her crying and ask her what's wrong...
- •In tears, she tells me that she doesn't love me anymore.
- •I broke down crying. I told her we could fix things. I was willing to try.
- •She wasn't. She had made up her mind.
- •I spent Christmas Eve at my sister's.
- •Over the next months, I went through the roller coaster of emotions. Anger. Embarrassment. Depression. Etc.
- •Our divorce was finalized in 2004.
- •I finally decided it was time to stop feeling sorry for myself. I needed to fix me.
- •I started doing improv and theatre.
- •It was the best form of therapy. It was my creative outlet. I met some amazing people, some of whom became my closest friends.
- •I met my current wife. We got married in 2012.
- •She is the best thing that's ever happened to me.
- •We're celebrating our first Christmas in Chicago this year. Life is good.
- •Merry Christmas!