NICKNAMES FOR N.Y. ATHLETES (CURRENT AND FORMER)
How I keep sports interesting.
- •Tyson Wilson / Dungeon Dragon (Tyson Chandler)Because there was a Wilson Chandler on the Knicks. Roared when he made tough plays at the basket. I'm still mad he was traded.
- •Bazinga (Kristaps Porzingis)
- •Duda Day (Lucas Duda)To the tune of Camptown Races: "Duda Duda... all the Duda Day"
- •Lord Syndegaard (Noah Syndegaard)Said in a fancy voice like he's a character on Game of Thrones being summoned by the king.
- •The Great Gazoo (David Wright)From when he had to wear a special helmet after being concussed.
- •DeGrimey (Jacob DeGrom)Because of the hair. Yuck.
- •Justin Turner Overdrive / Hobo Turner Overdrive (Justin Turner)His name evolved when I saw his post-Mets look.
- •Spruel (Latrell Sprewell)My father-in-law's creative mispronounciation. Rhymes with "gruel."
- •Ellie Manning (Eli Manning)Another good one by my father-in-law
- •Smooth Criminal (JR Smith)Obvious reasons
- •Schump-a-Dump (Iman Schumpert)Probably inspired by Walt 'Clyde' Frazier's legendary rhymes.