MY PALESTINIAN LYFT DRIVER FIST BUMPED ME
A chronological list of my interaction with a Lyft driver
- •I left the baseball game before the end of 7th inning so to beat the rush on cars.
- •Pulling up my Lyft app I called up a solo Lyft, feeling rich.
- •My driver pulls up and I notice his Palestinian nationalist scarf on his dash board.
- •We talk about the game, work and the. He asks me where I live and I him (both in San Francisco).
- •He then asked me where I'm from (LA) and I him ("Palestine, well Israel," he said defeatedly).
- •I asked him where in Palestine.
- •He said Gaza.
- •I said, "even this Zionist Jew calls Gaza 'Palestine.'"
- •Upon merging onto McCallister as we crossed Market, he fist bumped me, thanking me for being open minded.
- •We talked about how there needs to be better leadership and how he hates all the governments involved.
- •He said that his last girl friend was Jewish.
- •I said I believe we will see a Palestinian state in our life time.
- •He said that we will see two separate states.
- •We then talk about how his family lives in Dubai and that he came to the U.S. to follow his dream (He's in school for petroleum engineering).
- •We then talked about how people outside of the conflict forget there are human beings involved in this and 95% of them just want to live their lives.
- •We then turned onto my street and we shock hands and wished each other a Salam Alekum.
- •Only in America.