How to nicely handle it when someone tells you a very bad idea
When the options are to lie and be nice, or be honest ... I'm never honest.
- •I never know what to do when someone tells me an awful idea.
- •I usually say something benign...
- •Like "oh really?"
- •Or just nod with with a fake "oh, I'm totally absorbing this" face.
- •But is that really benign if I'm passively encouraging someone to do something that is a very bad idea?
- •I used to wonder how horrendous singers made it onto American Idol.
- •Where were their friends and family to save them embarrassment?
- •Maybe their friends were like me.
- •Nodding with their stupid faces and quietly allowing them to humiliate themselves.
- •So what SHOULD I do...
- •... to tactfully and painlessly (for both parties)...
- •... handle these delicate situations without (basically) lying??
- •Suggest they research idea with someone who knows better than you.Suggested by @MaddyandOwensMom
- •I say how it's bad, and then I laugh. So I told the truth and spared the embarrassment. They won't be so confident to try it again.Suggested by @Boogie