What it's like to officially be older than my dad ever got to be...
(and to turn that age on Father's Day)
- •It's weird.
- •And it doesn't feel possible.I always knew he was young when he died. But I feel younger. His kids were so much older than mine. Maybe that's part of it...?
- •Am I on borrowed time?Ridiculous, right?
- •Unfair.I'm missing out on my dad. My birthday feels oddly tarnished from this particular milestone. And to top it off, I have to share the day with my husband.
- •Well, to REALLY top it off I have to live with the knowledge that I'm a selfish jerk for thinking like that.
- •Especially since (when looked at another way!) I'm now older than my mom ever got to be as a married woman.I should be grateful that I have him to share the day with.
- •There's too much pressure to put on my Big Girl Pants and look at the bright side.It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.
- •Like now the bandaid is ripped off.And in eight short years, my brothers and I will all be older than my dad ever got to be. And that makes him seem farther away than ever.