WORDS OF WISDOM FROM GLORIA STEINEM
I went to see Gloria Steinem in conversation with Melissa McCarthy at a Ms. Magazine/Equality Now event at the Ace Hotel on Tuesday night. Here are some things she said that were 💯
- •Once the women's movement came along and I discovered that not everyone had to live the same way... I was happy.
- •We don't even have equal pay. Equal pay would be the best economic stimulus we could ever have.
- •There's progress but we don't feel satisfied. We feel mad.
- •Women say what they fear most from men is violence. Men say what they fear most from women is ridicule.
- •A lot of us are living out the unlived lives of our mothers.
- •If one group has an adjective you have to give another group an adjective. So you have to say Philip Roth is a male novelist.
- •I was thinking about chick flicks. To be egalitarian we have to call [guys' movies] prick flicks.
- •Laughter is the best proof of freedom.
- •It drives me crazy that we discuss parenthood as though men didn't exist.
- •I'd like people to know that I tried to leave the world a little better, a little more equal, a little more joyous.