Best Music To Listen To While Writing
Love this topic!! It ultimately depends on what I'm writing... (search for other li.sts with same title; we're all so different! Fun LR, Eric, thanks! 🙌🏽)
- •FictionWhen I have an idea for a specific story, I like to make Spotify playlists in the early stages when I'm doing outlines, idea generating, research. The songs are sort of my personal soundtrack to the movie in my head. I don't do this really for short works, but for longer ones it's really effective to allow me focus on the feelings & ideas I want to evoke. For example...
- •For example, I made one for the story that's currently not getting enough of my attentionIt's a (not a all romantic) love story about a single mom with her 3 yr old son. Every song on this playlist has a specific meaning/emotion for what I'm brainstorming. You can find it here: https://open.spotify.com/user/12127400244/playlist/2Q6BEU6XqaS5Ko50CLNs1r
- •But I also happen to run a blogWhere I ramble on about about Shakespeare (link in my profile). And, boy howdy, do I ever listen to music when writing that! It varies according to which play I'm covering at the time. Some examples:
- •Love's Labour's Lost post already had a soundtrack!And not curated by me...The Public Theatre in NYC turned LLL into a musical a few years ago for Shakespeare in the Park, & the songs are pretty good!
- •Macbeth = Halloween musicFor real. I wrote about Macbeth while listening to Grim Grinning Ghosts from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland.
- •The 3 plays that showcase Falstaff got a drinking-theme playlistLots of country songs about whiskey & getting rowdy. My favorite was Beer Run by Todd Snider
- •When all else fails, look to classical musicComposers have been inspired by Shakespeare for years. I listened to Othello as opera, twinkly ballet music for A Midsummer Night's Dream, etc
- •But for theme-less writing or when I don't want to go digging for something...I love the playlists curated by Spotify UK. They are full of dreamy, quiet music that inspire my creativity without having distracting lyrics. Titles of playlists are things like Library Sounds, A Walk in the Woods, that kind of thing
- •But if you really need specific band names, then OK FINEI enjoy Lord Huron, Beck's quieter albums, the Marie Antoinette soundtracks, Band of Horses, atmospheric indie rock stuff like that