Parenting Dreams Achieved
- •My kids dig ElvisAnd Ray Charles. And Weezer. And The Beatles. And Hank Williams. We're still working on the Stones
- •Reading Harry Potter (Sorcerer's Stone) to my 5 year oldWe started it on a stormy night in front of a roaring fire. I nearly sobbed from sheer happiness. Now, she makes me be Snape or Hagrid on a regular basis
- •Going to DisneylandI'm a big believer that my kids had to be old enough to walk around without a stroller. When they were 3 & 5 respectively, we went for the first time. I nearly cried when we walked through the gate. My daughter told me not to be so excited. My son & hubs were unfortunately back at the hotel due to bout of kiddo constipation. One of those moments I dreamed about that was so opposite the perfect picture in my head, but I still managed to ADORE the entire experience.
- •My mother told me I'm a good motherMy mama is badass. I look at my childhood, and I can very surely claim that my parents did the absolute best they could (with what they had) in raising us. I have decided which of her parenting examples to take to heart, and when to forge a different path. It's amazing that she respects that and acknowledges my hard work with my monsters. I'm so so lucky to have her.
- •Being the Cool Mom to all the kindergartenersThey confide their little problems to me. I help them build rockets in class. They dig my terrible Jafar impression.
- •Leading a Girl Scout meetingNerd alert. I used to work at Sierra Club & was so stoked to run a "using resources wisely" meeting for kids. We had a Recycle Relay and I taught them about conservation and energy. I felt like a general badass, especially when some of the girls mentioned my lesson a few weeks later in totally separate classroom context. THE POWER OF LEARNING!!!
- •My kids adore our friendsHubs and I have a few incredible friends who dote upon our kids and vice versa. It ensures people are more willing to come hang with us in the 'burbs