A Very Thorough Guide to Eating in Madison, WI
Inspired by @izzy 😚
- •BREAKFAST: MarigoldOrder the chilaquiles or the duck confit hash.
- •BRUNCH: Bassett Street Brunch ClubBar none. If you want savory, order the pork carnitas hash or the steak and egg rancheros. If you're looking for sweet, try the bananas foster french toast or the creme brûlée oatmeal. They're also known for their homemade donuts, phenom.
- •HAPPY HOUR: GrazeFor snacks, get the pickle board, fried Hook's cheese curds, or the popcorn with truffle oil. For drinks, go for any of the cocktails (especially the old fashioned!) or try their magic coffee (better with a shot of bourbon!)
- •DINNER: HarvestGet the scallops. Try the kale and mushroom sides. Do it.
- •SMALL PLATES: Pig in a Fur CoatThis place is on a whole other level. Farm to table with great shareable small plates. Have to try the beets and the foie gras mousse. Everything here is phenom.
- •ASIAN: SujeoEverything here will rock your world. The stone bowl bibimbap is everything. EVERYTHING.
- •MEDITERRANEAN: Bunky'sLamb kofta all day. Hummus and baba are to die for.
- •ITALIAN: CentoMust try: bacon wrapped dates, grilled octopus, red wine braised short rib, homemade pasta, foraged mushrooms 💯
- •SUSHI: RedReally the ONLY sushi worth eating in Madison and it's amazing. Really. Highly suggest the Buddha Roll, 7 Sins Roll, or the Scarlett Roll if you're feeling adventurous.
- •MEXICAN: Eldorado GrillLet me vouch for the slow-braised pork adobo, roasted chicken with mole verde, and the mahi-mahi al pastor.
- •EUROPEAN: Brasserie VBelgian. Amazing tap list. If you're looking for a comfort meal, get the duck confit or the Croque Monsieur. Known for their mussels.
- •FAST FOOD: Naf NafRight on state street. The shawarma and falafel are on point. I hate fast food and I eat here on the reg.
- •CARRY OUT: Ha Long BayA cult favorite, and it really is that good. Frequented by Andrew Zimmern. Can't go wrong with Pad Thai or any of their amazing curries. Personal favorite: Ginger Chicken. The thom ka gai soup is also superb.
- •COCKTAILS: MerchantTry the Regret and the Whiskey Sour. Everything is AMAZING.
- •SWEETS: Lazy Jane'sBest scone you will ever eat in your life, hands down, no competition
- •ICE CREAM: Babcock'sIf you visit Wisconsin, the land of dairy, you have to try this. I don't even love ice cream and I'm obsessed. Best when eaten by the lake at the terrace.
- •HONORABLE MENTIONS: The Old Fashioned, Natt Spil, Pizza Brutta, Shortstack, Weary Traveler, Greenbush Bakery
- •Have I convinced you to come to Madison yet?