ALBUMS I BOUGHT MYSELF IN DECEMBER AKA THE ONLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT I'LL GET
I'm old, I'm single, and my parents only give $$ to charities now NO ACTUAL GIFTS. So...I'm my only Santa!
- •Troye Sivan "Blue Neighborhood"Completely mindblowingly beautiful. Fave song: "Talk Me Down"
- •Torres "Sprinter"I'm not a PJ Harvey fan particularly so I was wary. But I really like this mad sad mess of emotion.
- •Joan Shelley "Over and Even"She has a beautiful, Joan Baez-level pure clear voice. A couple songs I love. (Love the lyric "There is no more shelter for the broken.") But a lot of this album feels too safe and/or predictable to me. I don't necessarily feel a lot of her heart in these songs or mine doesn't get tugged the way I want it to.
- •PWR BTTM "Ugly Cherries"Loud brash sassy. Bought it for "I Wanna Boi" (LOVE) and really like the whole album.
- •Jason Isbell "Something More Than Free"Total classic, sometimes epic, Americana CSNY Allman vibe. I always really enjoy listening to him altho his sober ness makes this a very different sound than the times I saw him live (relatively long ago).
- •Hop Along "Painted Shut"Rough and ragged and really good.
- •Julien Baker "Sprained Ankle"Sparse arrangements. Plaintive, sometimes pleading. I like it but I longed to hear her pick up the tempo once in a while.
- •Saintseneca "Such Things"TBD. Haven't managed to listen yet. Soon.
- •Chris Stapleton "Traveler"I wanted this to be my new/next Sturgill Simpson. But it's really not. (I am still listening to that Sturgill Simpson album a LOT and it's what, a year old now?)
- •Andy Shauf "The Bearer of Bad News"This guy is a musical chameleon; every song sounds like it's from a completely different album...except for that muted sax in the background. Occasional resonances of Elliot Smith. I randomly bought this based on Robin Hilton's year-end list (NPR All Songs Considered) and am so glad I did.
- •Vance Joy "Dream Your Life Away"It's got that bo-jangly singer-songwriter-y thing I love. Like it a lot.