CRAZY SHIT IN SPACE
Inspired by @sky 's Jupiter Facts list also by the fact that Space is literally insane and the craziest shit you can dream up is probably actually happening up there. 🌑🌒🌓🌔🌝🌖🌗🌘🌚
- •A sun that is 1,500x larger than ours 🌟It's name is VY Canis Majoris and it's a RED HYPERGIANT. This star is about 1.7 billion miles in diameter, which is unfathomably large, but that size means that it takes EIGHT HOURS for the light it produces to travel from one side of the star to the opposite. UM.
- •A planet made entirely of diamonds 💎This planet should be called Planet Fancy but it's real name is PSR J1719-1438b and it is straight-up made of diamonds. This planet, made entirely of bling apparently started as the small twin in a dual star system. When the bigger twin supernova'd, the carbon core of Gemland remained after the explosion and, after a shit ton of heat and pressure, became a freaking massive diamond.
- •An extremely large rain cloud floating in space 💦Apparently science found a massive collection of water vapor floating in space. When I say massive, I actually mean that this space ocean is around 100,000 times larger than the Sun. It's the largest collection of H2O in the known universe, holding 140 TRILLION times more water than our entire planet.
- •Space lightning? ⚡️So apparently lightning can exist in space. Scientists have seen lightning on other planets like Mars and Saturn but they also found lightning in the middle of the freaking universe. The current they detected has an electrical force equal to a trillion lightning bolts and it's just chillin' near Galaxy 3C303. Which is far away, so we good.
- •A planet that rains iron and aluminum ☔️So apparently there's a planet named COROT-7b which is called a "rocky body" like Earth (as opposed to a gas giant). What's weird about this planet is that it's atmosphere is hot enough to vaporize rock (over 4,220 deg F) and it RAINS ROCKS. When a "front moves in," the vaporized minerals in the atmosphere condense and rain down. A hellish combination of aluminum, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
- •Mizar, the second star from the end of the Big Dipper's handle, is actually made up of 4 stars. It sits directly next to the smaller star Alcor, above Mizar, which is actually made up of two stars. This double star is the most famous in the sky, and is known as "the horse and rider."Suggested by @sky