Some thought experiments to break your mind and make you feel so infinitesimally small.
- •The number of insects on the planet: 10 quintillion 😦There are 900,000 different kinds of KNOWN insect species. This represents 80% of all of the species on Earth. Experts believe that there are more species not yet known than currently described... That being said, it is estimated that there are about 10 quintillion individual insects alive currently. (Source: Smithsonian Institute)
- •The number of stars in the universe: 100 octillion 😧This estimate was made by David Kornreich, and is made by first assuming that the Milky Way Galaxy has 100 billion stars (some estimate it has 200 billion). He multiplies this number by the number of observable galaxies (10 trillion). 100 octillion looks like this, by the way: 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (Source: space.com)
- •A googl 😨Googl is 1 followed by 100 zeros. To give an idea of how fucking huge this number is, if you took every single atom in the observable universe, you would not even approach a googl. This is amazing if you consider that the human body is made of trillions of atoms, and we're only one species. Crazier still if you consider that the Earth can fit over 1000 Earths and the sun is even bigger, and the Milky Way Galaxy is even more massive... You get the point. (Source: math.com)
- •Fibonacci Sequence 😰The Fibonacci Sequence is a mathematical mindfuck that continues forever and creates a neat spiral that often is replicated in nature in strange ways. To create it, simply begin the sequence with 0,1 (or 1,1 which is often used) add them, and place their sum as the third number in sequence. Each subsequent number is the sum of the previous 2. Naturally this sequence continues to infinity and quickly becomes incalculably large. (Source: Wikipedia.org)
- •The concept of infinity 😭Imagine that you're 100 feet from a door, you take steps to halve the distance every minute. At moment zero, you're 100 feet away, then 50 at t=1, 25 at t=2, 12.5ft at t=3, and so on... You will never theoretically reach the door, ever. EVER. This is impossible for our puny minds to fully comprehend. And may explain why so many people choose to tattoo the symbol of infinity on their bodies. (Source: math.com)
- •My life has infinite value and meaning, and is cosmically insignificant.Suggested by @zkamenetz
- •Airplane Wifi. I'm writing this while hurling 500 miles an hour in a tin can 35,000 feet in the air. There's no explanation other than magic.Suggested by @danpolis