The Works of Art That Have Made My Life Worth Living
If there is a purpose of art, I think it is to show us how other people perceive the world, and through this we discover something about ourselves that is universal. Here are the works that, above all, have stuck with me.
- •Lady Agnew of Lochnaw -- John Singer Sargent.I remember I took a sick day to come back and see this artwork. I sat there for over an hour and looked at this portrait closely
- •Invisible Cities - Italo CalvinoYou take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours
- •Cidade De DeusMy favorite film
- •The Stations of the Cross - Barnett Newman.
- •Astral Weeks- Van Morrison
- •The poet Terrance Hayes.Everything he has done is amazing. " Sometimes when I kiss my wife I taste her caution./ But let's not talk about that."
- •My Struggle - Karl Ove Knausgaard.I'm only on book 3 but it's completely changed my perception of what literature can be.