HOW A CONVERSATION WITH KIDS DEVOLVES QUICKLY.
A conversation as I was driving my boys home from the store one day. A day much like any other. Except a four year old (Medium) and six year old (Big) got existential and it got depressing.
- •Medium offspring: "Mommy? I love you as much as hotdogs!"
- •Me: "Um, I hope you love me more than hotdogs. There are millions of hotdogs on earth, none of which you would miss if they disappeared. But there's only one Mommy."
- •Medium offspring: "Ok then. I love hotdogs as much as I love you!"
- •Me: "Hmmmm. Not much different, Monkey."
- •Medium offspring: "Ok. I love you as much as all the people, plants, buildings, fire hydrants, sidewalks, space AND hotdogs wrapped up all together!"
- •Biggest offspring: "Space is pretty big. It never ends."
- •Medium offspring: "Yeah. But people end."
- •Biggest offspring: "Yeah, when they get too old."